PROBABLY THE MOST RESPECTED SOURCE OF INFORMATION, TRAINING, ADVICE & SUPPORT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE IN THE CIDER AND PERRY INDUSTRY
Drawing from over 30 years of practical experience, Peter is a highly qualified and internationally recognised authority in cider & perry production. He is a professional trainer and presenter, acts as an advisor to clients across the world, is a UK and USA competition judge, an author and an award-winning producer in his own right.
In 2015, he received the prestigious United States Association of Cider Makers (USACM) award for Significant Contributions to the Cider Industry.
- Owner and Manager of Mitchell F&D Limited - a business that operates a specialist and unique service for and within the Cider Industry.
- The Cider & Perry Academy provides training, consultancy/advice and practical support to current members of the Industry in addition to new business ventures.
- Hartpury Process Limited & Out of the Orchard: Peter also manages his own small-scale demonstration commercial production facility based at The Orchard Centre, Hartpury, Gloucestershire, UK, incorporating fruit processing, fermentation, downstream processing, packaging and laboratory analysis facilities. A range of fruit-based products are made for sale - jointly branded under Out of the Orchard - including fresh-pressed juice drinks, cider, perry, fruit wines and vinegars.
- Head of Core Food & Drink - A Centre of Excellence for the Cider, Food & Drink Industry. Based at Pershore Group of Colleges, Worcestershire, England.
- Head of The Hindlip Centre for Cider, Food & Drink Industries. Based at Hindlip, Worcestershire, England.
- Head of Cider Production and Food Technology, Worcestershire College of Agriculture, Worcester, England.
- MSc. (Distinction) Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology (Food) - Wolverhampton University, England. Research thesis: Malo-lactic Fermentation in Cider. Research dissertation: Hydrogen Sulphide Production in Cider & Perry and its Control
- BSc. (Hons) Physiology and Biochemistry - Reading University, England
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (Distinction) Further Education; Science - Wolverhampton Polytechnic
Cider Making and Technical Experience
- Commenced cider making in 1982.
- Founder, part owner and manager of Hindlip Cider from 1993 - Commercial production and packaging of ciders and perries. Founder and manager of Avonbank Ciders & Perries from 2000 to 2002 - based at Core Food & Drink, Pershore, England.
- Lecturer in Cider Production. Includes development & management of web-based Internet 'learning tools'
- Cider Industry consultant: UK, Europe, USA, Canada, China, South America
- Clients include: Bulmers, Heineken, Gaymer Cider Company, Diageo, Angry Orchard, Aspall Cyder, Thatcher's Cider Company, Henney's Cider Company, H Weston & Sons Ltd, R J Sheppy & Son plus a number of business start-up and small/medium scale cider & perry companies based in the UK, USA, Canada, Asia and eastern & western Europe.
- Research: Application of Malo-lactic fermentation in cider production. Characteristics, effects and control of Saccharomycodes ludwigii. Pasteurisation of cider. Application of cross-flow filtration for cider. Yeast selection for cider making. General production methods in cider making. Mechanisms of support and skills & technology transfer mechanisms for small & medium cider makers. Feasibility studies for the production of cider in non-traditional regions of the world.
- Author: "Out of the Orchard - into the glass". The official textbook for the NACM's Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation. 2010. NACM & Mitchell F&D Limited. ISBN 0-9551033-0-4."Cider Making Technology". 2004. China Light Industry Press. ISBN 7-5019-4268-4/TS.2524. "Malo-Lactic Fermentation in Cider Production: The Application of Selected Lactic Acid Bacteria Starter Cultures to Induce and Carry Out a Malo-Lactic Fermentation in Cider". 1996. MSc. Thesis, University of Wolverhampton. "Cider & Perry Production
- A Foundation" The Official Text Book for the North American Foundation Certificate in Cider and Perry Production. 2016. ISBN: 978-0-9935896-0-7
Competitions and Awards: Overall Champion - Hereford Cider Museum International Cider Competition, 1998 and 2011. Overall Champion - Royal Three Counties International Cider & Perry Competition in 2011. CAMRA Pomona Award, 1998. Numerous 1st prize/Gold and Silver awards in UK national & international cider competitions from 1996 to date. Presented with the United States Association of Cider Makers (USACM) award for Significant Contributions to the Cider Industry in 2015
Other Relevant Work & Activities
- Lead developer and founder-chairman (1988) of the Three Counties Cider & Perry Association,England. Chairman 2008 - 2010. Currently, Technical Representative.
- Member of the National Association of Cider Makers' (NACM) Technical Group member 2000 - 2003 and Executive Committee 2008 - 2010.
Led development for the Guild of Craft Cider Makers Quality Mark scheme
- Involved in political lobbying for the Cider Industry at regional and national level in the UK
- Member of NACM's Training Group and led development of the NACM Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation
- A lead developer & founder member of the Slow Food Three Counties Perry Presidium.
- Nationally (UK) and internationally recognised "Industry Champion":
- Vice President and founding member of the Cider Institute of North America (CINA)